The Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association defines counselling as “a relational process based upon the ethical use of specific professional competencies to facilitate human change. Counselling addresses wellness, relationships, personal growth, career development, mental health, and psychological illness or distress. The counselling process is characterized by the application of recognized cognitive, affective, expressive, somatic, spiritual, developmental, behavioural, learning, and systemic principles.”
At Innova Therapy Inc, we view seeking help for emotional issues as an act of courage and strength, and a recognition of our humanity. It is an acceptance that we are not perfect human beings, but that we are emotional and fragile. When you are ready to make a positive change to your emotional health, we are here to support you and to walk with you through the process.
In many ways, seeking help from a mental health professional for emotional issues, is not dissimilar to going to a dentist when we have a toothache, or going to a lawyer for legal advice. These are trained professionals who are well versed in their chosen areas of expertise, and are able to provide the best care for issues for which they are trained.
We are constantly challenging ourselves to be better therapists for you. We value ongoing professional development as key to our success in helping you achieve your mental health goals.
Reasons Why You Might Seek Help
At Innova Therapy, our clients come to see us for a range of issues, and certainly not limited to the following:
- Anxiety, panic attacks, phobias, obsessive-compulsive behaviours
- Depression, mood swings, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts
- Self-doubt, self-image, identity and personal growth issues
- Bullying in school; peer pressure
- Stress and burnout
- Bullied at work
- Career issues; personality assessments and fit
- Self-esteem, self-confidence
- Spousal abuse, life-threatening incidents, witnessing violent acts
- Preventing dissociation
Purpose and Meaning
- Boredom with life, search for purpose and meaning
- Life transitions – loss of a loved one; adjusting from one phase of life to another; new community, new culture
Marriage and Family
- Marriage and relationship issues
- Pre-marital counselling
- Infertility and adoption
- Forgiveness and reconciliation
- Coping with parental conflict and expectations; conflict with siblings
- Grief from loss of parent or child
Learn about Informed Consent, an important element of counselling and psychotherapy, and how it involves you as the client.
Benefits of Counselling
Read about the many benefits of counselling.