Helping Couples Heal From Relationship Distress,
To Create Amazing Partnerships
When two people get married, it is a marriage of two perspectives of the world, of two personalities, two family histories, two upbringings, two cultures.
With the complexities of all of these, it is natural that challenges will arise in relationships.
Relationships can be challenging
Chances are that some of you reading this are in long term relationships, and you can relate to at least one of the following:
- “We can’t seem to communicate with each other without yelling, getting upset, or getting into a big fight. It’s not healthy for the kids.”
- “He does nothing to show me he still loves me.”
- “She does not initiate any of our couple activities.”
- “I just want to feel that we are a team again.”
- “Every conversation we get into is filled with sarcasm, anger, resentment. What happened? We didn’t used to be like this.”
- “I think he doesn’t care. I don’t get any help around the house, or with the kids. He tries, but it’s not enough. I’m exhausted.”
- “We’ve become room mates, nothing more.”
- “He has a special friend that he confides in. Why can’t he talk to me? I’m his wife!”
- “She’s indifferent to anything that I do for our family. Nothing I do seems to be enough.”
- “We are emotionally disconnected. I feel alone in our so-called relationship.”
- “We have not been intimate in a long time.”
Or something along these lines.
Given all the above, it is amazing and inspiring to hear of marriages lasting 30 years, 40 years, and more. Were these trouble-free marriages? Most likely not.
Research by Dr John Gottman showed that couples whose marriages lasted, exhibited certain behaviours that distinguished them from the ones whose marriages did not last. The good news is that these behaviours can be learned.
Effective Couples Counselling
Couples or relationship counselling can be effective for those of you who are fully committed to improving the state of your relationship. Innova therapists can provide insights into behavioural patterns that are unhealthy, and share tips and strategies to help with communication and conflict. You may also learn some rules about how to argue constructively.
Couples or relationship counselling is not an arena where your therapist plays referee. Additionally, it is also not a place to find someone to agree with you and prove that you’ve been right all along. And that really, it’s your partner who needs to be fixed!
Your Innova couples or relationship counsellor will help you set goals at your first session that will guide you and your counsellor along your journey together. Be mindful to bring up all pertinent and relevant stuff. Your counsellor can’t possibly know you as well as you know yourselves, so give voice to your thoughts and your emotions. Make each session count by coming in prepared and ready to do some work.
For more information, please do read the attached Informed Consent for couples counselling.
Don’t wait until it’s too late.
Research has shown that many couples do not seek help until six years after the issue first manifested itself. For many, their marriages didn’t make it.
Call us now and let Innova Centre couples and relationship counsellors help you today.